I’m going to make it a goal of mine to join either a taiko group or tennis league this year.
For documenting purposes (really, when I write in this thing next January), I should probably note that I heard my very first gunshots outside my apartment last month. Drive by at 1am.
Hey, better than the year before.
.. and that pretty much sums up 2013. I have seriously neglected this blog and I thought if I were to write one measly little post for the first time in almost a year, it had to be my one year recap. So, here it is. And mind you, it’s still coming in the month of January, unlike last year.. who’s year recap post came in March.
So, how do I start these things anyway? My list of to-do’s from last year and a strikethrough what I think I’ve accomplished:
Visit a new state Visit a new country
- Finally find the motivation to do something I’ve been wanting to do (e.g., pick up taiko lessons, take some classes, relearn my Chinese)
- Sleep more
Learn a few more recipes
- Read more
Keep running, and maybe run another half marathon
I’m pretty sure the first two will be my life’s yearly goal until I run out of affordable, practical, desirable places in the world to go to. But I think I have a long way to go. I want to say that I read more this year, but I don’t think I did. I wished I picked up a new hobby, but nada. Does brushing up on my French count?
Things I should remember from this past year. (Ok, this list got long):
- I traveled a lot this year. A lot. Locally and internationally. Whew. (see below for just the new places)
- I’m slowly turning my brown thumb green. Roomie and I are practically sporting a garden on our living room window sill
- I continued to cook and bake more (with much help from my newly acquired tools such as my cast iron and pop-over pan
- I met some great people and made some new friends
- I went to a hell of a lot of Warriors games.. geez.
- Moving out has made coming home a richer experience
- I started doing yoga (years behind the trend, oh well)
- Ran another half marathon, albeit injured
- I need to learn to run without injuring myself
- Took my first work trip
- Got a promotion at work
- Splurged on a new camera
- Was called to jury duty for the first time and was picked
- I loved jury duty
- I volunteered at the Eat Real Festival, super fun
- George got me a piano to play at my apt!
- Went houseboating for the first time
- I took the megabus from Charlotte to ATL!
- I got bit by a dog for the first time… on my birthday
- BART went on strike for the first time in years
- I ate a Shooting Star a lot this year. A lot.
- I watched and placed bets at my first horse race
- Biked the SF - Sausalito path for the first time, and did it again in Dec
- I got terribly sick during my trip to Europe. Sad.
Places I went to in 2013 that I hadn’t been before:
- Big Sur, 3/16
- Taipei, Taiwan, 4/6-4/12
- Haikou, Hainan, 4/12-4/18
- Charlotte, North Carolina, 7/9-7/10
- Lake Shasta, 9/13-9/16
- London, UK, 11/16-11/19
- Paris, France, 11/19-11/25
- Barcelona, Spain, 11/25-11/28
- Lisbon, Portugal, 11/28-12/1
Foods I’ve grown obsessed with this year:
- Five spice chicken
- Eggs Benedict’s
- Anything at Big Sur Bakery, but in particular the breakfast pizza which is to die for
- A real French baguette
- Breakfast burritos
- Thai Peanut Salads
And finally, what I resolve to do next year:
- Travel more (this is a gimme): one new country, one new state
- Cook more: eat in when I have the time to cook at home
- Waste less: this includes food, electricity, time, energy
- Read more: blogs, news, books
- Run more: steady progression should do the trick
- Write more: starting.. now!
- Pick up a new hobby
- Figure out what I want to do with my life the next year+
Net: 2013 was probably one of my most favorite years in recent memory.